Have you ever showered and realized you forgot to take off your sterling silver jewelry?
The answer is probably yes.
It can be a hassle taking on and off your sterling silver jewelry every time you shower. It takes extra time and you can even risk losing your precious silver jewelry.
But can you wear sterling silver in the shower? Can sterling silver get wet?
The answer isn’t just a simple yes or no.
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about silver jewelry to decide whether you can wear sterling silver in water.
About Sterling Silver
Jewelry made out of sterling silver has become a staple for many individuals. It is perfect for any occasion, formal or informal, and enhances any outfit.
Sterling silver contains 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper.
The copper makes sterling silver more durable, strong, and light. However, the added copper is what causes sterling silver to easily tarnish.
Don’t worry, though, as you can still prevent this from happening.
Will Sterling Silver Tarnish if You Wear it Every Day?
Sterling silver is used to make necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and so much more.
Sterling silver will not tarnish if you wear it every day, but there are specific instances when you should take it off. In fact, wearing your sterling silver every day will help it not tarnish.
Jewelry made from sterling silver is prone to corrosion over time, but if you wear your jewelry every day, you can prevent this effect. The oils from your skin actually clean and polish the sterling silver jewelry.
Wth the right care, your sterling silver jewelry can last for decades.
Can you Wear Sterling Silver in the Shower?
So, can you shower with sterling silver?
In short: no.
If you expose your sterling silver jewelry to moisture and water, it will harm the metal. How?
- The products you use may contain salt or harsh chemicals that will tarnish jewelry.
- The humidity from the hot water can cause your sterling silver to tarnish.
However, if you use a mild soap and thoroughly dry your sterling silver jewelry with a towel, it is okay to shower. The mild soap can remove the tarnish in your silver jewelry.
Generally, you want to avoid wearing sterling silver jewelry in the shower.
Can you Wear Sterling Silver in the Pool or Ocean?
Even though you may want to wear your gorgeous sterling silver jewelry at all times, it is crucial to take it off before swimming in the pool or ocean. Exposure to chlorine and saltwater can significantly damage your jewelry.
You also want to avoid wearing your silver jewelry in hot tubs. Due to the heat and higher concentration of chlorine, your beautiful pieces will become dull.
Saltwater leaves a residue that is either permanent or extremely hard to remove. It can discolor your once shiny jewelry.
If you do jump in the pool or ocean with your jewelry on, quickly remove it, wash it with soap and water, and dry it completely. You can also use a sterling silver polishing cloth to remove any tarnish in the safest way.
How Can You Take Care of Sterling Silver Jewelry?
Knowing the best ways to take care of your sterling silver jewelry can make all the difference. Follow these tips to ensure your silver jewelry lasts forever:
Daily Wearing Tips
- Wear it Often: As stated above, wearing your sterling silver jewelry every day keeps it shiny and is the easiest way to prevent tarnish.
- Remove Jewelry During Chores: Household cleaning items, such as cleaners, perspiration, and rubber, can speed up the tarnishing process.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight: Sunlight can increase the rate of tarnish, so it is important to remove sterling silver jewelry before going to the beach or pool.
- Put Jewelry on Last: Makeup, lotions, and hairsprays can damage your silver jewelry, so ensure you are putting on your jewelry last.
How to Clean Sterling Silver
- Soap and Water: The most recommended way to clean sterling silver is with soap and water because of its gentleness.
- Baking Soda and Water: Create a paste by mixing baking soda and water, apply it onto a cloth, and gently scrub your jewelry.
- White Vinegar and Baking Soda: If your jewelry is very tarnished, this method is for you. Insert your jewelry in ½ of white vinegar with 2 tbsp of baking soda, soak for two to three hours, and completely dry.
- Polish: After cleaning your silver jewelry, use a polishing cloth that is made for sterling silver.
The key to making your sterling silver jewelry last is to regularly clean it. Don’t let the tarnish build up as it will get harder and harder to remove.
How to Store Silver Jewelry
- Store in a cool, dark place. Avoiding sunlight, heat, and moisture will make your silver jewelry last longer.
- Keep in an air-tight container. Ziplock bags or any special jewelry bag is the best way to store your jewelry.
- Separate each piece. Keeping your jewelry pieces separate limits jewelry scratches and knots.
- Use anti-tarnish strips. Store your silver jewelry with anti-tarnish strips to prevent corrosion.
- Don’t store it in paper or cardboard boxes. Traces of sulfur can cause your jewelry to tarnish.
So can you wear sterling silver jewelry in the shower? Can you wear sterling silver in water?
The best answer is no.
To keep your jewelry shiny, elegant, and bright, remove your sterling silver before showering or entering any body of water, including swimming pools.
Shop the Best Sterling Silver Jewelry
Di MODOLO offers exquisite, luxurious sterling silver necklaces, bracelets, pendants, earrings, and rings.
With a modern approach to classical design, their one-of-a-kind jewelry designs will make you feel sophisticated, confident, and beautiful.
Every piece of jewelry is designed with impeccable craftsmanship and reflects timeless beauty, class, and elegance.
Browse our collection of fine jewelry at Di MODOLO today!